I spent this morning baking a batch of saffron cupcakes to be used as a Christmas Dessert on Monday (here in Sweden we celebrate Christmas on the 24th). After I posted a photo of them on my Facebook Page, several people have been poking me for the recipe.
So I thought I’d be nice and share it ^^ The recipe says it will make 12 muffins/cupcakes, but I always get more out of it ^^
What You Need:
150 grams butter
200 gram of white chocolate, in chunks
0,5 grams saffron
5 eggs, separated
125 grams caster sugar
150 gram ground almonds
What You Do:
1) Turn the oven to 175 °C and line a muffin tray with paper cupcake liners.
2) Put butter & chocolate in a small saucepan and melt on a low heat, make sure to stir every so often. When it’s all melted, take it off the heat, add the saffron and allow to cool slightly. Once it’s cooled, add the egg yolks and 93 grams of the caster sugar and stir until it’s all combined. Note: since it’s white chocolate, the mixture will split! But don’t worry, it will all come together once we stir the sugar and egg yolks in 🙂
3) Whisk the egg whites in a dry & clean bowl until they form soft peaks. Add the remaining 31 grams of caster sugar gradually while you keep whisking. This will form a fluffy meringue. With a metal spoon, fold in the chocolate mixture and the ground almonds. When it’s all folded in, fill up the cupcake liners to about 75 %.
4) Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes have risen and look golden, if you test with a stick it should be dry. Take out the cupcakes and let them cool in the tray for a little while before transferring them onto a rack.
5) Decorate with frosting and decorations of your choice and enjoy!
Dont worry if the cupcakes sink a little in the middle when they cool down, I think it forms a nice little well for the frosting ^^